Continuing Education Courses & Lunch-and-Learn Meetings
Bison representatives are happy to present CEU information to your staff when we are in the area.
Please complete the form by clicking here and let us know what you need.
Redefining Rooftops: Understanding Rooftop Deck Systems
Rooftop decks create valuable living and recreational space for building owners, residents, and clients. Accommodating restaurants, hotels, healthcare facilities, and everything from residential to government buildings, rooftop deck systems offer the design flexibility to create versatile, unique outdoor spaces over any structural surface. This course explores the features, surface materials, and design options for rooftop deck systems and provides an overview of recommended planning and installation guidelines.
Learning Objectives: At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the key features of deck supports, including their weight bearing capacities, durability, and height and slope adjustability, that enable precise deck leveling and a safe, structurally sound rooftop deck.
- Recall appropriate installation conditions for rooftop decking systems, and provide installation guidelines to facilitate a durable and level deck installation that meets structural, loading, and building code requirements.
- Discuss the benefits of rooftop deck systems and their site furnishings, including the health benefits to building occupants and the environmental attributes of the materials used.
- Describe customization options for rooftop decking systems, and reference case studies to illustrate how a unique, usable outdoor space can be installed over any structural surface.
Landscape Architecture: Great Outdoor Spaces by Design
Materials and strategies for enriching outdoor experiences.
- Identify sustainability criteria (LEED and SITES) that apply to exterior surfaces used in landscape architectural design.
- Describe some of the various product systems that are available for designing exterior plazas and roof terraces, and understand each system’s compliance with sustainability criteria.
- List design options for exterior pavement surfaces with respect to stormwater management.
- Describe the ways in which exterior spaces and outdoor rooms can help to meet LEED and SITES requirements of Human Health and Well-Being and Materials Selection, as well as those that apply to WELL certification.
- Explain the approach to Whole Building Design.
What’s New in Retail and Hospitality Design?
Innovative products help create better results
- Identify and recognize the connection of indoor and outdoor spaces as a significant design approach for human welfare and environmental benefits.
- Assess the health and safety performance aspects of wall and floor surfaces as they relate to durability and sustainability.
- Explain the importance of proper restroom design coordination for health and safety.
- Determine ways to incorporate the principles presented into buildings as shown in case studies.
Design for the Public Realm
A variety of products provide options for flexibility.
- Describe the sustainability criteria (LEED and SITES) that apply to the design of exterior spaces and outdoor rooms.
- Discuss the various products and systems that are available for designing exterior spaces for the public.
- Explain some of the key safety considerations in designing public spaces.
- Describe how lighting can enhance the public’s nighttime experience and also provide safety.
- List the ways in which exterior spaces meet LEED requirements of human health and well-being.
Exteriors and Outdoor Design
Design trends for exterior spaces and four-season rooms.
- Discuss the key sustainability criteria (LEED and SITES) that apply to the design of exterior spaces and outdoor rooms.
- Describe some of the various product systems that are available for designing exterior spaces and outdoor rooms, and understand each system’s compliance with sustainability criteria.
- List design options for exterior deck spaces regarding railings and safety.
- Explain the ways in which exterior spaces and outdoor rooms can help to meet LEED and SITES requirements of human health and well-being.
Adjustable Pedestal Deck Systems for Roofs and Beyond
Course #: AEC347 – Delivery Provider Code: K501
Participants will learn the basics of designing elevated deck systems on roofs, pavement, and on grade with adjustable pedestal supports. The course will also touch on green roofs, common project obstacles, and construction practices.
- State the features and benefits of designing with adjustable deck support systems.
- Identify the important safety, coordination, and installation considerations when choosing an adjustable deck support system.
- Identify ways an elevated deck offers healthy and safe outdoor amenities to the end user resulting in a higher quality of life.
- Understand the proper design and installation guidelines to facilitate a safe and ADA accessible installation.
Discover pricing and request samples for wood tiles, pedestals and more.
Our layout service ensures you have a detailed plan with all the resources you need.
Ask technical questions about our pedestal paver system here.
Have a question about our products? Drop us a line and we will get right back to you.